Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hmm, perhaps I am a sick freak



"I know, right? What kind of a sick mind would think that a chain of butcher shops inspired by Ed Gein was a good idea?"

Actually, maybe the question should be, "What kind of a sick mind even thought to allude to Ed Gein as a caption for this contest?"

For those of you who aren't familiar, the above is the cartoon from this week's New Yorker caption contest. Every week on the last page of their issue, The New Yorker publishes a cartoon without a caption, and invites the readers to submit their own. The hundreds (dozens?) of contenders are competing for, well I don't really know, but I'm betting the prize The New Yorker awards to the winner pales in comparison to the fact that winners get to brag about their caption being chosen. I mean c'mon - if my caption were to ever be chosen (not that I've ever sent mine in...their all humorless bastards anyways...don't know a good caption when they see it! Their content to just let captions that people put their sweat and tears into flounder in the pile! Um, ahem), I'd totally eschew the year's supply of Rice-a-Roni to just carry around the issue my caption was published in and shove it in every passerby's face, declaring, "Look! The New Yorker, one of the most intelligent and intellectual magazines written today, deems ME as witty and clever!" (Rightfully, the passerby would then pummel me with his/her issue of Cat Fancy)

And I can't even be honored for being the first to think of writing an anti-caption. Seinfeld made fun of New Yorker cartoons back in 1998, and every week, Daniel Radosh features his own anti-caption contest on his blog.

But I was a bit taken aback when, as I first laid eyes on this week's New Yorker contest cartoon, I thought of alluding to Ed Gein. What kind of a sick freak am I? One of my first posts on this blog was about how The Aristocrats joke could serve as a Rorschach test, and now I'm thinking the same holds true for the New Yorker caption contest.

Then again, the cartoon takes place at a butcher shop, there appears to be dancing Rockettes sitting in the meat counter, and weirdly, there is a hacksaw hanging in the background. An allusion to Ed Gein - or any other demented serial killer - seems inevitable. Maybe a Patrick Bateman reference is more current?

So obviously I can't send my Ed Gein caption into The New Yorker - how about this one?

"Using the meat counter as advertising space brings in WAY more money than the ground chuck ever did."

Sigh. I'm never gonna win that caption contest.

14 comments:

Business Horse said...

You were right on the card you sent me.


PICK YOUR BLOG GAME UP!

Anonymous said...

i think its funny!

Business Horse said...

You are so bad at blogging, Marge.

Business Horse said...

I'm just going to post something random here every day until you do something.

Nothing random today, though. This is just the warning.

Business Horse said...

Damascus, Syria is generally regarded as the oldest city in the world that is still in existence today.

Business Horse said...

Tonga is rated as the most corrupt nation in the world.

Unknown said...

this is so fucking lame of you M

Business Horse said...

Moises Alou finished 3rd in the voting for the 1998 MLB MVP.

Business Horse said...

K-2 is the second tallest mountain in the world.

Business Horse said...

The Grateful Dead had one Top 10 song in their entire career...1987's Touch of Grey.

Business Horse said...

Day and night on Uranus are each 42 Earth-years long.

Business Horse said...

You should be glad that Steve McNair was shot last weekend, because at least there's finally something more dead than your blog.

Business Horse said...

GO TO HECK, MARCIA

Business Horse said...

I agree with all of the above.