Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A question for anyone with a face and a body (take a seat, floating brains)

I have a mild form of adult acne. It's nothing too bad - I really only break out when I'm about to start my menses.

But a while back I discovered an interesting phenomenon occurs when I break out. First, I get a pimple, then a day or two later, I will get another pimple...on the exact spot directly symmetrical to the spot where the original pimple popped up.

In case I'm not explaining this well, I drew a picture:


Day 1


















2 Days later:




















See what I'm talking about? 99% of the time, my zits receive a doppleganger within days of their arrival.

And it doesn't end with the zits - I've noticed symmetrical hair growth on my face as well. I'm not growing a Grizzly Adams beard or anything, but I do have a couple of hairs that I pluck every few weeks. At first, it was just one hair on the right side of my chin, but within a few months, another one sprouted - in the exact place on the opposite side.

This type of biology makes sense. Humans are bilateral, meaning that if you were to evenly fold us in half vertically, we would match up - two arms, two legs, eyes, eyebrows, etc. Our physicality is very symmetrical.

But I've never read anything regarding the symmetry of zits or random hair growth on the human body. In the days of the internet, you would think this phenomenon would be discussed, somewhere, but a google search turned up nothing.

Maybe that's because it only happens to me. Does it? Am I the only one affected by twin pimples and identical chin hairs?

You know the drill: your welcomed answers can be left in the comments!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Well I find your comment very interesting because I actually googled "bilateral zits"! So there ..you're not the only one! I have gotten bilateral break outs for years and always pondered it as a good question. I tend to think that it's about nerves lines and stress.
Maybe just that the accumulations of junk to be expelled is at the same points, sebaceous glands in the skin?