Sunday, August 17, 2008

American Psycho has me freaking out


I'm reading the book American Psycho, by Bret Easton Ellis. I've got 96 pages to go before I'm finished, and I really don't know if I should continue.

The book came into my possession a few weeks ago while my boyfriend and I were walking to Prospect Park. American Psycho, along with The Sun Also Rises and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, were lying on the sidewalk, laid in a neat row and presumably free for the taking. Though it had rained a hour or so prior, the books were dry and intact.

I had read about American Psycho in a book I own, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I liked the movie (starring Christian Bale), and since the book was an absolute must-read, I plucked it from the ground (I took the Hemingway novel as well; since I own Caged Bird, I left it for another lucky bookworm).

Last Saturday the bf and I were packing up supplies for a sailing trip, and since I'd left the book I was already reading (Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris) at my apartment, I brought American Psycho with me; when I finally began reading it, I was instantly drawn in. It was fast-paced and provocative, detailing a world where money and image mean everything while at the same time mean nothing. For the first 100 pages or so, there was no violence - just tedious descriptions of 80's yuppie fashion and the vapidity of a life that, though priviledged, made me sigh with relief because I have no connection to it.

But then the gruesome stuff started to take place. At first, the bloody murders were tolerable - though it disgusted me when Patrick Bateman would murder a bum and his dog, I eagerly took it all in, my mouth agape with shock. After a murder more tedious descriptions of name-brand clothing and upscale dining would soften the horror I felt. But then the murders became more frequent, violent and depraved, and now I'm actually thinking that I have made a serious mistake by picking up this book. Part of me wants to keep on reading - 1001 Books says American Psycho "must continue to be read," if for anything because it is a warning, or a powerful statement on how capitalism kills the innocence of the soul, or something...and also, I've got 96 pages to go - I'm almost done with it and I need to see how it ends.

But I'm having nightmares. Last night I dreamed that Patrick Bateman (looking like Christian Bale) wooed me with his looks and charm then tried to kill my family and me with butcher knives. I awoke thoroughly freaked out, and I can remember thinking in my dream "this is all because you are reading that fucking book."

Tonight I was walking my dog, and though I've walked him in my neighborhood (not to mention run errands and gone jogging,) at night a million times before, it was frightening. If the dog wasn't with me, I wouldn't have gone out at all. The entire time, I kept thinking someone was watching me and scenarios kept running through my mind - what would I do if accosted by a psychopath? Would my dog attack him? Should I just run? What about my dog, should I hold onto his leash to make sure he comes with me, or let go of it and just hope he follows? What if the psychopath got my dog, should I run or try to save him? At one point - and I'm almost too ashamed to admit this - I started walking in a zig-zag thinking that by doing so, it would be harder for some lunatic with a sniper rifle to shoot me.

And the worst part is, I can't even be comforted by reminding myself that it's just a work of fiction because the sick shit written in this book does happen. Maybe not in its exact form, but there are crazy people out there who need to control and need to kill, and their methods are revolting and torturous. Hell, maybe someone has read American Psycho and reenacted one or more of the murders described. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I'm really wondering if I'm going to have severe trust issues after reading American Psycho, and my paranoia of the everyday has been tripled. Or quadrupled. I don't know, all I know is that I'm freaked out by everyone. And my boyfriend is out of town, so I don't have anyone to relate my fears to:( Except for my readers. I guess that's why I'm writing this.

Then again, maybe this excessive fear will just last for tonight, and another week or so. Maybe the intensity of the violence will wane, and I'll come out stronger for reading it. But I cannot in good conscience recommend this book. It's sick. The detail Ellis writes with is, for lack of a better word, illuminating. But the word illuminating connotes a wonderful discovery, and there is nothing wonderful about this book. Or maybe there is. I don't know, I'll tell you when my stomach stops churning. Ugh, I'm even scared of what will happen if I have a kid and my kid wants to read this book - I certainly don't want him or her to, but how will I stop it? How can I censor them? Oh jeez, I need to chill out.

If anything, American Psycho has made me see the need to legalize prostitution. Many of Bateman's victims are prostitutes, and the same holds true for the non-fiction world; ladies- and gents-of-the-night are often the most victimized group of people. Prostitution should be legalized, therefore monitored, to prevent further horrors from afflicting sex workers. I'm so convinced of this right now that I'm going to start looking into some pro-sex worker organizations. Seriously, I'm on it.

Ok, I think I'm done incoherently rambling. I'll probably stay up til 3 am to finish the book, and then stay up the remainder of the night clutching a baseball bat. Gosh, how lucky I was to find this book randomly laying on the ground; God must have been smiling on me that day! (douchebag)

17 comments:

Business Horse said...

Looks like you should probably read the Vagina Monologues next.

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha!

I'd start worrying if you find a chainsaw where your vibrator used to be!

oooooOOO

AndSheWas said...

Vern - please stop using a non-existent character name to make stupid jokes. If you're going to try to be funny, at least get the name right - it's Paul Owen, doofus.

Business Horse said...

?


Uhhh, that wasn't me.

AndSheWas said...

Vern - that exchange is like in horror movies, when the two blonde cheerleaders are waiting in the dark school parking lot for Bobby to pick them up for the post-game kegger, and the cheerleaders hear someone fart, and the first cheerleader is like, "Ick, Debbie..." and the second cheerleader is like "That totally was not me," and then all of a sudden they are both impaled by pitchforks. Gosh what movie is that scene from...

Business Horse said...

Uhhh...I don't know. I don't watch horror movies, mainly because I don't like to stick anything in women that is not my penis.

Anonymous said...

Two words: unreliable narrator. It's sort of the nth degree of Thurber's "Walter Mitty".

At least, that's what I kept telling myself when I read it about 15 years ago. "Killing Child At Zoo" is a tough chapter to get through. It's also a significant tipoff that one is reading extended delusional fantasies of a wacko.

AndSheWas said...

Sonny - good point. As I got further into the book and the narration became more erratic, I realized that since he was going out of his mind, there is really no telling if what Bateman does has actually happened. But since it's all fictional, I guess none of it has happened.

But here is an article from the NY Times detailing the actual rape and torture of a young woman who was accosted by a stranger.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/nyregion/06rape.html?scp=7&sq=columbia%20student%20rape&st=cse

Business Horse said...

Marcie, can you go one post without mentioning an unprecedentedly violent rape? Jeez.

Anonymous said...

Saw yr. comment now.

Yeah, I think the important thing is that Ellis' book was written in 1990, which was about the time before our exposure to such violent acts was available to us, every day, 24-hour news cycles and all being the norm.

Seems like a good leap from this text might be A Clockwork Orange, by Burgess. Good luck to you - found yr. site through Zombie Fights Shark!, by the way.

Cheers,
SA

AndSheWas said...

Sonny - I figyud you found me through ZFS! since Clinton linked to me (thanks for that if you see this Clint-dog).

I'm almost done with the book (as I was reading at 1 am Sunday night, I saw a chapter entitled "Girl" and knew I couldn't stomach anymore that night). I'm probably going to do a follow-up for my next post, since I am so freaking fascinated by how this book is affecting me.

Caitastrophe said...

I think I need to re-read American Psycho because I don't remember it being that scary. But maybe I am just a sociopath, because while I have no memory of being disturbed by the violence I was quite taken aback by how much money he spends on a single meal. $400 for two?! That could get me a slice every day for a year. That's what's really fucked up.

AndSheWas said...

Caitlin - I don't think it's scary, just demented and gruesome. I got really pulled into the chapters where he was using the nail gun and electrocuting girls and drilling holes in their heads...ugh. But since Sunday night, I think I have come to terms with the book.

WIBR said...

Hmm. I laughed through both the book and the movie. I'm not crazy though, I swear.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree w/ EVERYTHING Caitlin wrote about American Psycho. When I read it I had terrifying nightmares about Patrick Bateman. Although it is an important novel nevertheless, holding a mirror up to society and letting us see how empty, violent and soulless rampant consumerism is. Patrick is a very real psychopath, it is always those in a position of power who commit the most monstrous acts

Unknown said...

I bought American Psycho because I also liked the movie and I read a review of the book and one reviewer actually wrote its the only book he's ever read that made him physically sick, as soon as I read that review I knew I had to get the book for myself to see what the fuss is about.

Despite the level of apalling violence in it, it stands out as one of the best books I have ever read. I too was grossed out reading the graphic torture murder scenes but also there was other chapters and paragraphs, even sentences that made me laugh out loud, the graphic 3 some description and when he makes his fiance eat the chocolate covered urinal cake being the two most memorable.

I would reccommend this book to all or most other readers with a warning to approach it with an open mind and to remember its a black comedy work of fiction and not to judge me or hold it up against me as a reflection of my own personality for recommending it to them :-)

No nightmares here i'm afraid but I can see how some readers, especially women could be frightened by the books contents.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.