Thursday, August 7, 2008

Though your music is brilliant, your greed is ruining my fond memories!

"How much money does Led Zeppelin need that people imagine a shitty car whizzing by when they hear their songs?" - Trent Reznor

Ok, that's not an exact quote, it's the gist of what I remember reading in a 2002 issue of Rolling Stone. It was such a funny and poignant comment that I remembered it six years later, and I wanted to use it for this post, even if I am committing some form of libel.

Because I am cheap and poor, I still use an old-school iPod shuffle, these days available for $20 bucks in the Apple store bargain bin. But what it lacks in size it makes up for in size (memory vs. weight, sillies!) Also, without a screen to tell me what song is playing, every song is like a fresh, Christmas-morn gift. Morose Beck followed by groovy Dead is like bawling your eyes out at a good movie, and immediately afterwards seeing a skateboarder crack his nuts on a guardrail.

So my iPod constantly surprises me with music that I unintentionally uploaded to it. This was the case with INXS's "New Sensation," a poppy tune from a much-loved 80's band. When it played on my iPod today, I was at first elated and energized, but the feeling quickly left me - instead of imagining Michael Hutchence's beautiful visage crooning the lyrics, all I could think about was a fucking Bally's commercial.

People sweating on stair-steppers, be-spandexed trainers giving the thumbs-up, and lots of close-ups on abnormally taut abs - ahhhh! The image was more visceral than the actual music video. I had to skip the song; listening to it was actually churning my stomach.

And what a fucking shame. When I was little, my mother's greatest loves were cleaning the house and jamming out to INXS (my father could rot with his tools for all she cared). So we'd grab the mop buckets, crank up the stereo, and let the rockin' songs of INXS guide our soapy rags over the messy counter and dusty bookshelves. Maybe not a noteable memory to some, but an important one to me.

But now that's all been overshadowed by the Bally commercial and INXS's filthy greed. Why'd you do it, INXS? Hutchence has been dead for several years now, so he had nothing to do with the leasing of your rights - would it have never happened if he were still alive?

INXS isn't the only perpetrator to grant some corporate conglomerate the rights to their songs. Here's is a list I compiled SANS INTERNET SEARCH:

The Cars, "Just What I Needed" - granted rights to Circuit City
Heart, "Barracuda" - some car company that's shilling a van
Whoever sang "Fly Like an Eagle" (The Eagles?), "Fly Like an Eagle" - US Postal Service
Led Zeppelin, "Whole Lotta Love" - some car company

Hmmm, can't think of anymore off the top of my head. But there's more, I tell ya!

It's different, though, if a band leases rights to a movie; it doesn't bother me a bit. I guess that's because I regard movies as works of art, and the music is there to stylize the art, not convince me to waste my money on a crappy product...even though movie studios are just as guilty of trying to sell me crap. Hum...

Then again, I have loved - and actually bought - music that I heard from a commercial, like The Greenskeepers "Vagabond," the song used to promote the Liberty City Grand Theft Auto game. Boo-urns to this whole argument - I'm more contradictory than McCain, or the Bible.

Should I just forgive these aging artists for allowing companies to prey upon consumers with their music? Ok, I forgive you, but it doesn't change the fact that when I hear your commercialized tunes on the radio or iPod, I opt not to listen; in fact, I get soured on the other songs in your library, too.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

test

Unknown said...

ok, i just needed to test that i could post bc im a work and sometimes its wonky. anyway, i have the same problem...i HATE songs that i like in commercials, bc it really does ruin the song for me. just to add to your list, a couple more instances i can think of - Sweet Home Alabama for KFC, I'll Stop the WOrld and Melt with You - Burger King (a couple of years ago) AND what about the new Death Cab for Cutie song, I Will Possess Your Heart, in some random commercial now, which i am most upset about. And i was just reading an article the other day about how bands are more prone to agree to commercial spots to compensate for the decline of record sales in the music industry. hello, anyone else but you's lyrics were reworked for fing sandals resorts, and if thats not selling out, i dont know what is. not that i mind selling out that much, but still. thats my rant.

Business Horse said...

Marcie, Michael Hutchence died while hanging himself and jacking off. So I don't think I would be too surprised if he let Bally's make a workout video with one of his gay songs.

I don't have this same problem, and I don't see what is so righteous about not allowing your music to be used in commercials. By all means, rape every dollar out of the system while you still can. When I think of Led Zeppelin, I don't think of a car whizzing by. Trent Reznor can go and get fucked like an animal right in the middle of Brooks Walk.

AndSheWas said...

Sara - thanks for adding to the list. There are a lot more examples of muscicans selling the rights to their songs, but I wanted to cite bands who are established with a huge following, thus have sold a lot of records. You're right - these days, it seems newer artists are happily allowing companies to use their music in commercials - I think it's the new method for becoming known.

Vern - Hutchence died whilst scarfing? I knew he hung himself, but I didn't think it was for sexual reasons...anyway, I have pretty much resolved not to hold it against a band if they sell the rights to their music. But that doesn't stop the fact that it diminishes the value of their songs - I mean, be glad that McDonald's commercial helped you buy a house in Malibu, but it won't stop the fact that your fans no longer associate your songs with your legacy. All they're thinking about is Big Macs.

Business Horse said...

Yeah. Autoerotic asphyxiation.

And the Modern English song was Taco Bell, not Burger King. And it was a few months ago. You are already thinking it was a few years, Sara! Come on, ladies, do you REALLY think of KFC when you hear Sweet Home Alabama? I don't. Sometimes I might think of a plane crash due to Con Air...and I have noooooo problem with that.

AndSheWas said...

Vern - "In the early '90s, "I Melt With You" was played in a successful Burger King ad. Modern English started recording another album with After the Snow producer Hugh Jones in 2001."

http://www.emusic.com/artist/MP3-Download/11595120.html

You're right, it was also used for Taco Bell commercials, but I'm more apt to think of the Burger King commercial for some reason.

I don't know if I think of KFC when I hear "Sweet Home Alabama" because I've always hated that song, but yeah, I really DO think of the product the song is shilling. It'a especially easy for that to happen if A) The band is already well-established and B) The commercial is played every 8.7seconds during primetime tv.

Business Horse said...

Then the only suggestion I can give you is to do what I do and stop watching TV unless a major sporting event (or, I guess for your equivalent, a really homosexual play) is on. Or maybe a home improvement show, but not one starring Tim Taylor.

Unknown said...

ive always hated sweet home alabama AND Kfc, and with those powers combined, you can guess how i feel. but anyway, am i mistaken, or was there once a reality show called "who wants to be the new lead singer of inxs"?

AndSheWas said...

Sara - yeah there was, and I thought to incorporate that into the selling-out theme, but I didn't want to get too off-topic.

Unknown said...

well excuuuuussseee me

Business Horse said...

OMG I just saw a commercial for Summer's Eve and it used the Ruff Ryder's Anthem. Now when I think of DMX, I'm going to think of feminine hygeine. Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down, douche yourself up.