Sunday, August 3, 2008

Can someone explain the mechanics of oatmeal to me?

The other night I decided to have some honeynut oatmeal for dinner.

After dumping one packet in a bowl, it was apparent that one packet would not suffice. So I poured in another.

The cooking instructions called for 2/3 cup of milk (or water, if you're lame). Now it didn't say 2/3 cup per packet, but it seemed obvious that if you were making two packets of oatmeal, then you'd double the necessary ingredients labeled on the package.


2/3 cup + 2/3 cup = 4/3 cup, or 1 and 1/3 cup. Right? I'm no Pythagoras, but basic fractions are not beyond me. So I poured in just one full cup of milk, since I like my oatmeal thick, and popped it in the microwave.

What I was presented with when the mike timer sounded was a soupy mess akin to pig slop.

I mean, I still ate it - I'm not the most discerning when it comes to what goes in my mouth (That's what she said! - hey-o! - ba-dum-ba!) - but wtf? My homemaker skills are bad enough as it is without Quaker Oats giving me shitty cooking directions.

All my life I've been told to use common sense, even after people (my mom) told me I have none. My common sense told me to double the amount of milk if I was making two packets. But that was wrong.



Do I have horrible logic, or is Quaker Oats run by nazis? My common sense is telling me there's truth in the latter part of that statement.

3 comments:

Business Horse said...

Easy-Mac is just like that. You go from 2/3 cup to just a full cup when you double the amount. No idea why.

Unknown said...

If you would've let it sit for a few minutes, it would have thickened. And Mom never said you had no common sense, Dad did.

Anonymous said...

kristine - well then they BOTH did, since I distinctly remember mom telling me I have none. Our parents perceived my devilish tomfoolery for retardation.