Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Is this retarded?


This is the business card I designed for the premiere of my new play (the invite will be featured on this blog soon). Ignore the smudging; pertinent personal info had to be redacted, just in case weirdos came across it and decided to, you know, do weird things to me.

I kind of felt like a fraud when I got them printed - do I really have the right to call myself a playwright ~ freelance writer? Hell, I don't even want to make a career out of playwrighting, but since the production of my play is the biggest thing I have on the career horizon, it seemed appropriate. "Hopeful Television Writer" didn't seem right for a business card.

I wanted it to look poor, as odd as that may sound. I wanted it to come across that I am a struggling young artist, because in my ignorant and confused little head, "Young and Poor" rings as "brimming with vast amounts of talent." That little doodle is from my own hands as well - does it have some kind of avant-garde, provincial cache?

Does it stand out from the other cookie-cutter business cards you see on a regular basis?

Even if it doesn't and popular opinion concludes that it is the least-effective business card to ever be created, oh well - too late now! This is what I have, and this is what I will use should anyone (karma-willing) ask for my information in order to contact me.

6 comments:

Business Horse said...

Well, it's unique, I'll give you that. Although the English language part is kind of weird.

AndSheWas said...

Vern - I actually think that drawing is really weird, but it was the only thing I could think to draw.

I wanted it to sound like the English language and I are in cahoots...we meet in the dead of night at deserted parks, and the English language reveals to me plays on words, delightful onamonopeias, and the elements of style that Strunk and White never even dreamed of.

On a different note - am I a wacko?

Business Horse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Business Horse said...

Well, I mean, I like the unique design. Really. Especially in a field like yours.

But...honestly, I just think the English language thing sounds kinda...douchey. But really, I don't have my pulse on the playwrighting industry.

AndSheWas said...

I'm a purveyor of doucheiness? Really? I'm, like....having an out-of-body experience.

You see the douchey qualities in other people, but you never think it will happen to you. Sob!

Meh, it's fine. But I'll remember that for when I print my new-and-improved business cards on fabulous gold-plated placards.

PS what did you write before? Something I'm happy I didn't see?

Business Horse said...

No, I just spelled playwright wrong and I cannot have myself on the internet misspelling any fucking words. I was going back and forth between them and picked the wrong spelling.